CSR - Overview
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Policy of Merlin Projects Ltd.
Corporate Social Responsibility is strongly connected with the principles of Sustainability; an organization should make decisions based not only on financial factors, but also on the social and environmental consequences. Therefore, it is the core corporate responsibility of Merlin Projects Ltd. to practise its corporate values through its commitment to grow in a socially and environmentally responsible way, while meeting the interests of its stakeholders.
Merlin Projects Ltd. recognizes that its business activities have wide impact on the societies in which it operates, and therefore an effective practice is required giving due consideration to the interests of its stakeholders including shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, business partners, local communities and other organizations. The company endeavors to make CSR a key business process for sustainable development. Merlin Projects Ltd. is responsible for continuously enhancing shareholders’ wealth; it is also committed to its other stakeholders to conduct its business in a responsible manner so that it creates a sustained positive impact on society. Our company is committed towards aligning with nature; and has adopted eco-friendly practices.
As a corporate entity, the company is committed towards sustainability. Ongoing dialogues with shareholders provide valuable approach with an objective that each business decision takes into account its social and environmental impacts and plans.
Our CSR Vision:
Our Vision is to actively contribute to the social and economic developments of the communities in which we operate. In so doing, build a better, sustainable way of life for the weaker sections of society and raise the country’s human development index.
Our CSR Mission:
- Ensuring socio-economic developments as we provide the most professional, informative, loyal and dedicated service in the Industry. The best interest of our client and stakeholders will always come first and we will place the client’s & society’s concern ahead of our own in each and every transactions, as we are dedicated to the development of long-term client relationship!
- Ensuring environmental sustainability, promoting education, promoting bio-diversity, eradicating hunger, poverty, malnutrition and promoting healthcare including preventive healthcare.
All CSR activities shall be driven by the core value of Inclusion. Merlin Projects Ltd. shall ensure that all developmental activities/initiatives undertaken are accessible to the most marginalized segments such as children, women, elderly and those with disabilities. This would reflect particularly in the field of education, healthcare, sanitation, community welfare, skill development, employment generation, infrastructure development, promotion of national heritage & culture etc.
Corporation will have a Board Level Sub-Committee herein after referred to as CSR Committee consisting of three or more Directors out of which at least one shall be an Independent Director.
The role/responsibilities of the CSR Committee include:
- Formulate and recommend to the Board, a Corporate Social Responsibility Policy which shall indicate the activities to be undertaken by the company as specified in Schedule VII of the Companies Act 2013.
- Recommend the amount of budgeted expenditure to be incurred on the activities referred to in clause (1) above.
- Monitor the Corporate Social Responsibility Policy of the company from time to time
- Institute a transparent monitoring mechanism for implementation of the CSR projects/programs/activities.
- Monitor implementation of CSR activities on quarterly basis.
- Approve programs / projects / activities with monetary value of Rs.50 Lacs and above in each case.
- Approve projects/programs/activities of any value which are outside MPL s focus areas.
Implementation process and focus: identification of projects:
All projects are identified in a participatory manner in consultation with the community, latterly sitting with them and gauging their basic needs. We recourse to the participatory rural appraisal mapping process. Subsequently, based on the consensus and in discussion with local people, society at large, NGOs, Trusts and other influential projects are prioritized. The corporation’s CSR focus areas are inspired from national developmental policies and international commitments of nation for development of children, women and weaker sections. Merlin Projects Limited CSR focus areas are based on inspiration from legislations on Child Rights, Child Development and Education, National Health Policy and National Health Missions, Health Care in India- Vision 2020, National Skill Development Mission, and policies on community / rural development.
a. All projects/programs/activities will be in the areas of:
- Child Care
- Health Care
- Skill Development
- Environment & Community Development
b. Detailed break up of projects/programs activities under each of these will be approved in line with the Limits of Authority Manual.
c. Any projects/programs activities in areas other than the above will be taken with the approval of CSR Committee.
d. These projects/programs/activities shall be undertaken at any of the following:
- The Local development plan of MPL which is in proximity to MPL operation areas/locations
- In BRGF (Backward Region Grant Fund) districts as identified by Planning Commission.
- Where there is a strategic connect for MPL. Not less than 60% of the budget will be spent for the community in and around MPL locations.
e. CSR projects / programs / activities will be implemented through implementing partners/specialized agencies. The minimum eligibility criteria of an implementing partner are as follows:
- It must be a registered society, trust, company or any specialized agency having minimum three years of experience post registration in handling activities of similar nature.
- Experience of working with any Government Body or Public Sector Enterprise will be preferred.
However the selection authority can request any other qualification on a mandatory basis from the applicants while selecting the implementing partners.
a. Annual CSR Budget
In alignment with The Companies Act, 2013 the corporation shall earmark as CSR Budget, at least 2% of the average of net profits of the company made during the three immediately preceding financial years.
b. Budgetary Allocations
- Not less than 60% of the Budget will be allocated for activities in a Project mode.
- Not more than 5% of the budget will be allocated for capacity building and communications.
- Balance budget will be for one time and other social activities. On an overall basis, at least 25% of the budget should be with a special focus on SC/ST/Welfare Plan for Weaker Section.
Any surplus arising out of the CSR projects/programs/activities will not form part of the business profit of the Company.
a. Monitoring process will be a two tier mechanism through:
- CSR Committee on quarterly basis.
- Board Members on quarterly basis.
b. In addition to the above, at the end of the year, Third Party Impact Assessment of major projects will be carried out.
Activities which will be undertaken to comply to CSR policy by the company:
With the advent of The Companies Act 2013 particularly Section 135 of the Act, Merlin Projects Ltd. shall undertake following activities under its CSR programme through various Registered Trust and Non Governmental Organization (NGO).
- Eradicating hunger, poverty and malnutrition in vicinity of plants with a special focus on women, children, those affected by disability, displacement due to natural/man-made disasters.
- Promoting preventive healthcare, sanitation & hygienic practices & making available safe drinking water.
- Promoting inclusive education for all with a special focus on children with disabilities, including opening centers for research in special education/inclusive education & remedial education for the disadvantaged.
- Special focus on educating the girl child and the underprivileged by providing appropriate infrastructure, and groom them as future value creators.
- Promoting gender equality, conduct studies/research with a special focus on women from vulnerable sections, economically backward & those with disabilities, self help groups etc.
- Setting up homes for women, orphans & the senior citizens including special homes for foster care/life care of persons with disabilities in the community.
- Creating an enabling & accessible environment for reducing inequalities faced by socially and economically backward groups.
- Assist in skill development by providing education & vocational training, coaching for placement in appropriate employment models thereby empowering the disadvantaged sections towards a dignified life.
- To establish an educational institute to promote universal design & barrier free infrastructure and to impart training courses to access auditors, students of design, rehabilitation, education, engineering, architecture etc.
- Ensuring environmental sustainability and ecological balance including preparing communities for disaster management from micro to macro level.
- Create positive awareness towards the need to adopt measures that lead towards reducing carbon footprints, dependence on fossil fuels and promote alternate energy approaches.
- Conservation of natural resources by undertaking projects such as rain water harvesting, plantation drives protection of fauna and flora, agro-forestry, etc.
- Animal welfare including establishing institutions for training of guide dogs/attendant/ service animals for persons with disabilities.
- Protection & restoration of national heritage and art and culture & making them accessible to all.
- Setting up of Inclusive Public Libraries, E- Libraries, digitization of libraries, etc.
- Promotion and development of traditional arts & handicrafts.
- Measures for the benefit of armed forces veterans, war widows and their dependents such as promoting accessibility in their built environments, rehabilitation by aids & appliances, prosthetics, mobility appliances, artificial limbs, etc.
- Training & promotion of rural, nationally recognized, Paralympics or Olympics sports, including sponsorships to attend events, quality sports equipment, etc.
- Contribution to the Prime Minister's national relief fund or any other fund set up by the Central Government for socio-economic development and relief and welfare of SC, ST, OBCs, minorities and women.
- Contributions or funds provided to technology incubators located within academic institutions approved by the Central Government
- Sponsoring and supporting rural development projects.
- Employee participation is an important part of developing responsible citizenship. Our company encourages and motivates employees to spend time volunteering on issues of social interest.